***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 44 - Exercise...but not too much!


I came across this story in the news this morning. It details a research study that was done regarding long bouts of exercise, most notably, marathon running.




I have discussed a similar topic in the past, detailing a "more is better" feeling many humans carry. Whenever a topic such as exercise, or a specific dietary item, comes along, many people feel as though, "If a little bit is good for me, then a lot must be better!"

I have participated in half-marathons, myself, and although I enjoyed the journey to a new fitness goal, it should be noted that these types of long-duration exercise bouts can be extremely taxing on the body.

I know some people, however, can withstand the rigors of long-duration exercise, but most people can and should not partake in bouts of exercise that last so long.

I think if you are an individual who has grown up performing well in long-duration aerobic exercise, and has no ill-effects, then more power to you! I think there are individuals who crave, want, and need to run, bike, and/or swim tons of miles a week to feel like they have accomplished something.

On the other hand, if you are an individual who is looking to 'get in shape' and lose a few pounds, do not feel as though hours and hours of exercise is the way to go.

Instead, look into short-duration, intense exercise (High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT), as interval training has been shown to mimic the benefits of aerobic exercise in half the time!

This is also a classic example of sport-specificity training. If you are wishing to run (bike or swim) a 5, 10, 21, or 42km race, long bouts of exercise are needed to meet your goal. On the other hand, if you are just looking to get in shape, then keep things short but intense!


Quote of the day:
"All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them."
~Walt Disney


No comments:

Post a Comment