***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 97 - Grow Younger Every Day Step 11: Be Honest With Yourself


Step 11 is all about being honest with yourself.

What do I mean by this? Allow me to explain.

This step really is in reference to every other step in this list. The number of times I hear from people, or see comments online of people saying, "I ate healthy and worked hard, yet I don't see any results!"

How hard are you working out? How many cheat meals/snacks have you had?

Anything worth achieving requires effort, plain and simple.

The beautiful thing about this step is that it can be applied to every facet of your life.

Most people have an astute sense of what is right/wrong, also known as your conscience. Yet, I hear people lying to themselves, or more specifically to others, all the time.

As I have said in many different previous posts, I am not a psychologist, although I seem to have noticed at how many individuals are looking for that sense of positive reinforcement.

An example of this, I always have a coworker of mine who would say, "Ugh, I ate an entire pizza for lunch again today!" Really, when you think about it, why would he even mention this to me unless he was looking for a positive comment back from me, such as, "Oh, it's ok Steve, it was only a medium!"

Chances are, Steve probably knows already that eating an entire pizza for lunch is a bad thing. So why does he feel the need to tell someone else what has happened and cannot be changed? Either he is looking for someone to tell him that it was wrong, or sort of pat him on his back and reassure him that it is ok, and to move on.

I try and focus in on my conscience as much as I can. I know this is much easier for some than others, but the more you train yourself, the more you begin to realize that your "inner voice" is quite bang-on.

If you were to "exercise" a few days a week, at a very moderate pace, and eat junk meals all the time, do you really think you would get the results that you were necessarily looking for? On top of that, if you really think deep into your brain, and listen to your inner voice, I am pretty sure your conscience will tell you the same as well.

I find that my inner voice is eerily similar to having a parent's voice inside your head. Maybe I am out for dinner with my wife, and I see the dessert menu. Boy oh boy does the chocolate cheesecake look good! But, as I wait, and I focus and listen to my inner voice, I begin to hear, "Sure, it will be tasty, but do you really need that?"

I personally think that if you can train yourself to listen to your inner voice, and listen to it well, you will be able to make better decisions about your diet and lifestyle!

Quote of the day:
"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go."
~ William Feather

No comments:

Post a Comment