***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 113 - Shutting Things Down



Asylum's Strength has caused me a bit of trouble in the past, so I try and make sure I am careful, but it has bitten me again.

I hurt my back on the first round of "Jump Squat Rotations". The exercise where you hold a dumbbell between your hands, crouch down so that your elbows touch your knees, then jump while rotating. I have had troubles in the past with the dumbbell rotations.

For those of you with lower back problems or may have troubles in the future, it is exercises like these that can be dangerous. Traditional heavy squats where you have a barbell resting on your shoulders is far safer in my opinion because you are adding weight to your frame down your centre of gravity. Attempting to add too much weight with exercises where you are just using dumbbells can be dangerous, especially the moves in Asylum, because the weight tracks out in front of your body, placing additional stress on your lower back. (I hope that makes sense)

Anyways, my back isn't too bad *knock on wood*, after I felt my back tweak a bit, I finished the workout, making sure I was very careful with any exercises involving the back, but I can definitely feel some tightness, so of course I skipped Overtime. These past few weeks of training has been tough on me, and my back just adds to the list of a few other little nagging injuries I have (left elbow, muscle tightness in my neck/trap) so like my wife said, maybe this is the last straw for my body telling me to shut things down.

So...no more Asylum for me before Tough Mudder. I am planning on doing 1 more long run, my final Asylum Fit Test, and some very light cardio work/stretching/foam rolling throughout the week.

Quote of the day:
"We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once."
~ Calvin Coolidge

No comments:

Post a Comment