***NOTICE - My blog has moved. You can continue to find my blog postings over at www.tylerrobbinsfitness.com ***

Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 317 - My Diet Through Body Beast Part 1: Build and Bulk Diet

***Part 2 of my diet (supplements) can be found here***

This blog will detail what my diet consisted of, as well as the timing during Phase 1 (Build Phase) and Phase 2 (Bulk Phase) of Body Beast.

Please note, that as I am writing this blog, this is the first time that I have actually 'counted' the calories that I consumed. I completed my own mass phase back at the beginning of 2012, so I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to eat, so I didn't feel the need to count.

Once I get to the Phase 3 (Beast Phase), I will count my numbers religiously to make sure that I am correctly aiming for my proper calories and macronutrient ratios.

Please note, the schedule below is my usual day. I did not follow this plan exactly to a tee every single day, but most days I did.

Also note, my dinners vary quite drastically so I have an overall consensus of how many calories I would take in on an average day. More often than not, my dinners would consist of 1-2 servings of protein, a veggie side, and a carb side (potatoes, rice, bread, etc.)

My schedule:

5:00am - Alarm goes off, drink coffee (a little bit of milk, no sugar)

5:45am - Starting workout by this point at the absolute latest

6:30am - Finished workout, immediately drinking 500mL Chocolate Milk with creatine (see below)

500mL Chocolate Milk - 340 calories (5g fat, 56g carbs, 18g protein)

7:00am - Once dressed and ready for day, 3 scrambled eggs

3 Large Eggs - 240 calories (18g fat, 3g carbs, 21g protein)

9:00am - Banana, Chocolate Shakeology mixed with 12oz. 1% Milk (take vitamins at this time)

Banana - 110 calories (0g fat, 30g carbs, 1g protein)
Chocolate Shakeology with 12oz. 1% Milk - 316 calories (6g fat, 34g carbs, 30g protein)

11:00am - 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese mixed with 1/2 Cup Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt

1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese (2%MF) + Yogurt - 167 calories (2.5g fat, 16g carbs, 19g protein)

12:30pm - Turkey sandwich (3-4 slices turkey breast, mayonnaise, mustard, tomato, lettuce, cheddar cheese), baby carrots, Clif Bar

Clif Bar - 250 calories (5g fat, 44g carbs, 10g protein)
Turkey Sandwich:
Sliced Turkey/Chicken - 460 calories (12g fat, 60g carbs, 30g protein)
Cheese - 360 calories (30g fat, 3g carbs, 21g protein)
Whole Grain Bread - 240 calories (5g fat, 40g carbs, 10g protein)

1:30pm - Apple, Fibre 1 bar

Apple - 80 calories (1g fat, 21g carbs, 0g protein)
Fibre 1 bar - 140 calories (3.5g fat, 26g carbs, 2g protein)

3:00pm - Vanilla Whey Shake with 1% Milk

276 calories (6g fat, 19g carbs, 38g protein)

6:00pm - Dinner (see below)

9:00pm - Pre-bedtime snack (Ice-Cream or Peanut Butter)

4 tablespoons peanut butter - 360 calories (32g fat, 16g carbs, 12g protein)

Totals

My totals are entirely based on what I eat for dinner each day (which varies greatly). Dinner basically always consists of meat, a starchy side, and a veggie side. Meat is generally one of the following: 2 chicken breasts, 1-2 pieces of salmon, 1 filet of tilapia, 1 1/2 cups of shredded roast beef.

Starchy carbs involve white potatoes, rice, bread, etc. For veggies, I would try and eat broccoli whenever possible because it is a great, nutritious food, and I really like it!

Totals - 3200-4000 calories

~120-150g fat = 30%-40% total calories
~360-400g carbohydrates = 40%-50% total calories
~210-240g protein = 25-30% total calories

Creatine

Plain and simple creatine monohydrate, crystallized. I take mine mixed in my post-workout chocolate milk. I pre-loaded with creatine for the first 5 days, taking 20g of creatine daily (4x5g doses).

Now the Body Beast guide recommends taking 10g of creatine following every workout, but I found I was getting a bit of stomach upset after 30 days or so, so I dialed it back to 5g post-workout.

Shouldn't be a problem, because at that point, my muscles most certainly have reached their maximum "saturation level" and should have PLENTY of creatine available to them.

Water

One thing I will add, the first 30 or so days of the program I was not drinking enough water. Well, I should say I was drinking enough to "get by", but I needed to drink much more. Your muscles volumize while on creatine, so it is important that you have plenty of extra hydration to allow those muscles to fill up like sponges! Keep a water bottle handy at all times...

***Part 2 of my diet (supplements) can be found here***

Quote of the day:
"Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can."
-Lowell Thomas

Check out my new Website: tylerrobbinsfitness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment